I recently learnt how to bake bread and I must say I’m amazed at how easy it is. Before now, the thought of baking a loaf alone would have overwhelmed me enough to give up the whole idea.
My bread came out very nice, if I should say so myself, and the whole process took less than four hours.
I’ll be sharing with you the process of my baking, including the ingredients used and I hope you go on to bake a loaf as delicious as mine was. Haha
Ingredients for Your Homemade Bread
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 1/4 Cups Warm Water
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 Melted Spoon of Butter
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 of warm water. Ensure the water is warm to the touch. The temperature has to be just perfect; neither too hot nor too cold. Too hot and it will kill the yeast, too cold and it will prevent it from rising.
Stir the yeast until it becomes bubbly. Which means it has been activated and should work to make your bread rise. Melt your butter and stir a little of this in. Also add your milk at this point and stir until smooth
- Next, keep away half a cup of flour and pour the rest in a large bowl. Also add in your ground nutmeg, salt, sugar and continue stirring until well mixed.
Start adding the warm water at this point, mixing as you pour. You want to add just a little initially so you can get started on the process of forming the dough.
Pour in one cup of water or enough to make a moderate dough consistency and mix the ingredients together using one hand.
- Pour in your yeast and milk solution and continue mixing.
- Once it becomes sufficiently smooth, sprinkle some dry flour unto a smooth surface and transfer this dough unto it ready to start kneading.
- Knead until smooth, adding your bread fruit gradually as you knead. Next, then place in a buttered pan. Flip the bread over, grease the top and then cover it for an hour to rise.
- Place again unto the smooth surface or board and knead for seven minutes or more.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Place bread in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove, allow cool and enjoy!
I baked my bread using a cake pan as it was what was available at the time and my bread came out looking kinda funny. But it did taste amazing though and everyone was ‘wowed’