Are Tomatoes Good for Weight Loss? See 10 Ways this Superfood will Help You Lose Weight
Are tomatoes good for weight loss? Anyone trying to lose weight would have come to realize losing weight and also staying trim is an ongoing battle. A huge part of losing this extra weight is maintaining the right diet as well as undergoing a regular exercise regime.
One good food that has been known to help induce weight loss is tomatoes. This red, juicy fruit comes packed with healthy nutrients like protein, vitamins, minerals and dietary fibers.
One more reason to include tomatoes in your diet is that this fruit has also been known to give you a smooth, soft and supple skin.
Health Facts of Tomato
Tomato is a staple in most diets. This nutrient-dense food is richly classified as a superfood as it comes packed with a lot of nutrients that offer a myriad of nutritional and health benefits to the body.
Tomato fruit is native to South America, but readily available worldwide. It contains 95% water and 5% carbohydrates and fiber. Nutrients you can find in tomatoes include protein, water, carbs, fat, fiber, sugar, vitamins and minerals.
Tomatoes also contain carotenoids like lycopene and lutein that offer great protection to the eyes.
Other Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant which has been known to help prevent three types of cancers : prostate cancer, colorectal cancer and stomach cancer.
- Tomatoes are also rich in calcium and vitamin K, two key nutrients needed for the development of strong bones and teeth.
- This superfood contains chlorogenic acid and coumaric acid which help protect the body from the damage that occurs when you smoke.
- It contains vitamin B and potassium will help you maintain a healthy heart by reducing cholesterol and reducing your blood pressure.
- Tomatoes contain vitamin A which will strengthen your hair follicles to give you healthy, rich hair.
- This vitamin A will also improve your vision to give you healthy eyes.
- Lastly, regularly consuming this fruit in a moderate quantity has been known to reduce your risk of kidney stones.
How Tomatoes Aids Weight Loss
Here are the ways in which tomatoes helps you lose weight:
1) It is Low in Calories
Tomatoes are quite low in calories which means you can eat a few of it without having to worry about exceeding your daily caloric intake.
A small-sized tomatoes contains just 16 calories and since women have a daily caloric need of 2,000, eating a few of these won’t hurt your weight loss plan.
2) Tomatoes are High in Fiber
Tomatoes contain both soluble and insoluble fibers and since fibers make you feel fuller faster, this means you will consume less foods.
3) Tomatoes Boost Lipid Metabolism
This attractive looking fruit boost metabolism and taking it in any form (raw in salads, sandwiches or cooked in stews) will help you lose weight fast.
Tomatoes stimulates the production of carnitine, an amino acid that boosts your body’s ability to burn fats faster.
4) Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants
The lycopene property of tomatoes helps eliminate potentially harmful radicals. Radicals are harmful in that they can induce a state of stress in your body, which in turn promotes the accumulation of fats, promotes weight gain and the premature aging of cells.
5) Tomatoes are Antiinflammatory
Again, the antioxidant lycopene works to suppress the production of pro inflammatory biomolecules, which in turn reduces inflammation. Inflammation has been linked to weight gain.
6) Tomatoes Relieve Stress
Tomatoes are high in betacarotene and vitamin E, two compounds that help fight blood pressure to protect you from hypertension and weight gain.
7) It Increases the Number of Good Cholesterol in Your System
Consuming this superfood regularly will do a lot to lower the bad cholesterol (LDL) in your body as well as increase your good cholesterol (HDL) as the later is known for promoting weight loss as well as reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
8) Reduces Water Retention
Tomatoes also reduces water retention which has been known to aid weight loss. It does this by reducing sodium levels and also increasing urine production.
9) Helps Fight Leptin Resistance
Leptin is a type of protein that helps regulate metabolism and appetite.
Eating tomatoes will boost leptin function in the body.
10) Tomatoes is an Appetite Suppressant
The high water content and fiber properties of tomatoes also serves as a natural appetite suppressant. It does this by making you feel full quicker, making you less hungry as well as reducing the desire to snack between meals.
Eating Raw Tomatoes: Why You Should Avoid This Habit
A number of people eat tomatoes raw in the belief they will get more of the amazing benefits of tomatoes.
However, a study carried out shows that eating raw tomatoes can be bad for your health.
Since tomatoes is one of the richest sources of lycopene, which while usually a great antioxidant, can be bad if present in too much quantity.
When you eat raw tomatoes your system is only able to process a little of this, leaving the extra in your system. Too much lycopene can lead to a discoloration of the skin, heartburn and acid reflux.
You can eat tomatoes daily, but food experts recommend taking no more than 22mg of lycopene daily, which can be gotten from one medium-sized tomato.
Tags: Tomato health facts, tomato for weight loss, are tomatoes good for weight loss