5 Top Sore Throat Remedies for Fast Relief
Anyone who has ever come down with a sore throat knows it can be pretty uncomfortable. One minute you are yourself, and the next you have this itch and irritation in your throat that sometimes causes pain when you talk or eat.
Sore throats are mostly caused by cold, infection or other environmental factors like dry air. However, the most common cause of sore throats is viruses and they could either appear on their own or be accompanied by other symptoms like cough, catarrh and fever.
Types of Sore Throat
There are two broad types of sore throat which are:
Acute Sore Throat
Sore throats can either be acute, lasting for just a few days before clearing away with very little or no remedy.
Chronic Sore Throat
It could also be chronic which means it came about as a result of an underlying health problem. This type of sore throat never goes away until the main problem is treated.
Related: Ginger Honey Tea for Sore Throat
5 Top Sore Throat Remedies for Quick Relief
Here are some top sore throat remedies that will bring you instant relief and also cure the ailment:
1) Hot Water
Hot water is one of the simplest sore throat remedies there is. Just plain hot water has been known to bring relief from the discomfort and pain of sore throat. Let the water heat up and make it sufficiently hot that you feel the heat, but not so hot it scalds your tongue.
2) Salt Water Gargle
This remedy will bring instant relief from the itchiness of the sore throat. Just put one eight teaspoon of salt into half a glass of water and stir. Salt is a very potent substance and gargling with this will help kill the microbe causing the sore throat.
Leave this in your mouth for a few moments before gargling. Also repeat it several times a day until the sore throat clears.
3) Lemon Water
Lemon contains one of the richest sources of vitamin C, which is just what you need to attack the sore throat. This fruit will help fight the microbe causing the irritation to bring you soothing relief.
Squeeze a generous amount of fresh lemon into a glass of warm water and drink as desired. You also might want to make a lot of quantity to drink throughout the day.
4) Honey and Cinnamon
Honey is one of the best sore throat remedies there is and is also considered a superfood and a healing medicine. It is antimicrobial which makes it effective in fighting the microbes causing the throat irritation.
You can use it on its own as it is quite effective used sorely or mix it with cinnamon to further boost its healing potency. To use, mix two teaspoons of honey in a glass of warm water, add a pinch or two of ground cinnamon and take as often as you feel the need for it.
5) Apple Cider Vinegar
This is yet another potent remedy against this throat irritation. Vinegar is acidic and will create an environment not suitable for the bacteria in the throat. To use, mix one tablespoon apple cider vinegar in warm water and drink. If you find the taste a little unpleasant, you should add a teaspoon or two of honey to sweeten it slightly.
Other Sore Throat Remedies that Work
- Take ginger tea. Either prepare it using ginger roots which you grate then steep in water or make use of ginger powder. Either way, the effect is the same as this tea will bring you instant and long lasting relief.
- Take lots of water as staying hydrated has also been known to help keep your throat moist as well as reduce the mucus produced, especially if the sore throat is accompanied by cough.
- Take honey as honey is antioxidant and and antimicrobial and will help fight the viruses causing the sore throat.
- Take lots of vitamin C either in supplement form or in fruits like pawpaw, oranges and grapes.
- Drink chamomile tea or suck on a peppermint as both remedies have been found to bring soothing relief to throat itch and irritation.
- You can also use herbal teas like clove or green tea as both teas have been found to be antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
Tags: sore throat remedies for immediate relief, natural remedies for itchy throat