3 Best Ways to Use Onion Juice for Hair Growth
The first time I heard of onion juice for hair, I was like….errr……ok.The thought of it was strange. I mean, this is something most people can’t stand the sight of, let alone put on their hair.
However, onion juice has been praised for its many benefits, not just because it us a great antidote for hair breakage, but also because it will promote healthy hair growth. There are various articles that extoll the virtue of onion juice for hair growth (stating the various ways this simple-looking item could transform your hair from a weak one, into a luscious healthy mane) and rightly so.
This is because onions is rich in sulphur, a compound that improves blood circulation to hair follicles, which is one of the criteria for healthy hair growth. It also contains other important compounds and enzymes like quercetin and catalase which prevents premature graying of hair.
So here are the ways you can use onion juice for your hair
Recipe One: Onion Juice for Hair Growth
- Grate some onions and strain the liquid into a cup. (this could take a while, though). Alternatively, you could blend the onions and extract the liquid.
- Apply this juice all over your scalp and cover the scalp with a shower cap for 10-15 minutes.
- After this time, rinse off with shampoo and warm water.
- Let your hair air-dry (highly recommended as constant heat does some damage to hair over time), and style as usual.
Recipe Two: Onion Juice and Aloe Vera for Hair Growth
For this second remedy, you’ll be needing an additional ingredient, aloe vera, which has also been known to promote healthy hair growth.
Aloe vera contains minerals, essential amino acid and vitamins. It also improves the flow of blood to your scalp and hair follicles making it a great choices for hair.
Onion Juice Recipe for Hair
- Cut three onion bulbs into smaller chunks and boil in a cup of water.
- Once hot, take it off the heat and add 2-3 teaspoons of honey, and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera.
- Stir the mixture and allow it cool. Then pour it all over your hair.
- Massage this in for a minute or two and then let it stay in for fifteen minutes.
- Rinse off with shampoo.
- Do this often and in 6-8 weeks you will notice some major improvements in your hair.
Recipe Three: Onion Juice and Honey for Hair Growth
Honey is yet another great recipe that promotes healthy hair growth and that’s because this ingredient right here acts as an emollient when applied to the scalp, sealing in moisture.
Since dry hair is very prone to breakage, using honey ensures this doesn’t happen to keep your hair healthy and luscious.
Honey also acts as a cleanser, deeply cleaning out your scalp to prevent the build-up of oil and dirt.
Read More: 13 Natural Hair Growth Tips for Healthy Hair
To use this recipe, follow this simple process:
- Peel and blend three large onions until you can extract up to a quarter cup onions juice.
- Stir in a teaspoon honey.
- Dampen hair, partition and apply onion and honey juice from your scalp to your hair tips.
- Massage this juice in for 2-3 minutes, cover with a shower cap and leave for 20 minutes.
- After this time, take off shower cap, condition as style hair as desired.
Some Helpful Tips When Using Onion Juice to Improve Hair Growth
1.Red onions are better as they contain more juice.
2.Onion juice can be applied daily as it brings about no side effects.
3.If your scalp is very dry, you should add an oil alongside any of the above mentioned ingredients. Good oils you can use include jojoba oil and coconut oil.
4.In the quest for healthy hair growth, some people have been known to leave onion juice on their hair overnight with no side effects.
5.Other ingredients you can use include egg white, yogurt, Indian Gooseberry (Amla), fish oil and lemon.
A little caution though, lemon has been known to dry up the scalp, so you should use it sparingly (once a week) if opting for it as an additional hair growth promoting ingredient.